Tuesday, November 25

Needless Turkey Murder Day

I love Thanksgiving - but as a vegetarian - I must make a point of reminding everyone that millions of turkeys (and other poultry and livestock) are murdered for the consumption of human beings every year. Don't hate me; I, like many people, enjoy seeing the beautifully roasted turkey pulled out of the oven and lovingly coated with gravy to be devoured because it's tradition. But the cost is not worth it. I don't want to talk about it for too long because it upsets me and I don't want to ruin my own festive season, so may I simply (and un-soapboxily) suggest reading some literature?
The majority of people have turned down a vegetarian lifestyle on the basis that "everyone eats meat." We all grow up eating meat, hearing that it's part of a "well balanced diet" and hearing about how healthy it is for us. But the norm isn't always the best for us. Used to be that "everyone smoked" or "everyone had unprotected sex."

I say: educate yourself and then you can make an informed decision. And if you don't switch to vegetarianism after your education, you can at least feel guilty while you eat murdered animals. :D I mean, I feel guilty that I'm not yet a vegan...

Hope you all have a Happy Thanksgiving!

No comments: