Saturday, September 13

Sleepless in Salt Lake

It is said that those who sleep with others (as in married people) do not sleep as well as solo sleepers. I do not believe this. Tom is in Colorado walking door to door for the Obama campaign and I'm stuck here working. I've been trying to keep myself busy by going out late with friends after work, attempting to delay the inevitable: coming home to an empty bed. Once home, I blog, read, listen to my audiobook, watch bad t.v., but eventually I have to try to fall asleep. I lie down, cold and restless - not feeling sleepy in any way. I've been zonking out around 3 or 4 in the morning, waking up around 7 or 8 for a phone call with Tom, then back to sleep before work. Needless to say, I'm tired.

Tom and I have excellent sleeping arrangements. We love bedtime. We don't have a side of the bed so we can always switch it up. We always cuddle so we can be comfortable. And the heat of his body keeps me in a deep sleep all night long. I hear people saying that they can't fall asleep or that they have trouble staying asleep, but not me. Perhaps it's because we've been sleeping together for so long. When we were first married, we both worked graveyards and slept any chance we could get. We've always gone to bed at the same time - together - slowly building up our tolerance for the other's shuffles and shifts.

Of course, now we have the problem of not being able to sleep very well without the other. Last summer when he was in China I would sleep restlessly for a couple hours every night, wake up just in time to rush to class, and then crash for another couple hours before work. I was constantly exhausted. He was only sleeping about 5 hours a night. Luckily he's only gone for a few days this time around. And when he gets home I'm looking forward to a good night's sleep with him so I can catch up on my zzzzzzs.

No comments: