Friday, January 22

Ears Shut

Typically when I'm at work in the early morning hours I listen to NPR. I love the voices of the newcasters as if they were old friends sitting in my office. But with the recent horror in Haiti, I've had to stop listening.

It's not attractive to cry on your paperwork.
It's not appropriate to cry at work.
It's not good to slam your fist on the desk in frustration at yet another sad story.

So, I hope things are going well there, although I'm sure they aren't much improved, but I can't tune in right now. The urge to quit my job and run down to Haiti to help organize relief efforts is too strong. And when that urge dies down, my sad no-control-over-anything feelings seep in.

Haiti -- you are in my heart.

1 comment:

Kat said...

I had to do the same thing with the evening news. Eyes watering while Luke is looking at me wondering what is wrong with my face. For now I just read the headlines online, no more news. I suppose at least now the world has turned its attention to a place that needed our attention a long time ago.