Thursday, September 16

A Definition

Last night I finished Her Fearful Symmetry. There was something about this book I couldn't quite put my finger on. Something made it spectacular and difficult to put down, despite being sort of boring. I've decided it must have been an unknown quality to the writing, something addicting. Near the end of the book I found the following quote and it struck me. It was so truthful, so honest.

"'Being in love is ... anxious,' he said. 'Wanting to please, worrying that she will see me as I really am. But wanting to be known. That is ... you're naked, moaning in the dark, no dignity at all ... I wanted her to see me and to love me even though she knew everything I am, and I knew her.'"

1 comment:

Gia Laurent said...

A powerful quote indeed. For some reason, it brought to mind another quote I know about love. It is by Neil Gaiman, titled: "Have you ever been in love?"

You must read it!